Few would deny the fact that hindsight is a wonderful thing. However, we believe that foresight may have been a much more valuable attribute during February and early March of 2020, as the looming shadow of one of the most difficult times we have all faced in our lives was preparing to unfold.
This has been a truly unprecedented event in our lifetimes. Who could have predicted with any certainty what was about to march across the globe? Today, we must also consider that it may take a significant period of time before we return to our normal – whatever that new “normal” may look like.
Reflecting on how your business responded to COVID-19
Looking back on how you coped, how you met the challenges you faced, the decisions you made and the actions you took as a business during this time is invaluable. This reflection can offer superb insights into the abilities of your employees and the capabilities your business has to deal with, manage and mitigate the challenges faced during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here are some questions to ask:
- Did we manage the challenges presented appropriately and effectively?
- Did we achieve the planned goals defined by our main priorities?
- What did we do well?
- Is there more than can be done?
We have successfully maintained our operations throughout the pandemic, ensuring continuity of supply to our customers while focusing on our key priority – the health, safety and well-being of our skilled and experienced workforce.
Pandemic procedures at CB Technology
During the pandemic we have not only followed government guidelines as defined by the UK Government guidance document: working safely during Covid-19 in factories, plants and warehouses – but in many instances, we have implemented safe working systems and procedures in advance of the directives. This has allowed us to make sure we protect our workforce and de-risk the potential for any disruption to both our own operations, and those of our customers.
Here are some of the actions we have taken to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 in our workplace:
- Restriction of access to all visitors and other service personnel
- Items and areas cleaned before and after any task is performed
- Hands (wash and sanitiser)
- Doors / handles and all other touch points
- Work areas
- Tools / benches
- Canteen / WCs / all communal areas
- All PPE made available
- Perspex sneeze guards fitted to all work benches, desks, etc.
We have a documented a COVID-19 Secure Procedure which comprises of all cleaning regimes, processes and frequency, including sign-off logs and record maintenance. We have:
- Instituted one-way traffic systems and routes for personnel movement to maintain 2m-Social Distancing (SD)
- Implemented Perspex screening dividers to sectionalise workspace and traffic thoroughfares
- Re-designed our shop floor areas, workspaces and offices to allow employees to maintain 2m-SD at all times
- Instigated a shift rota system to maintain capacity yet reduce the number of personnel on-site at any given time
- Implemented home working for all employees that can work remotely
- Completed risk assessments for all home workers
- Executed a new fire procedure muster / assembly point to maintain SD
Making future processes safe
We are continuing to investigate ways in which we can innovate to help both us and our customers. For example, we are reviewing the use of remote camera systems to allow current and prospective clients to look at our site and, where necessary, view products in process. New Product Introductions (NPIs) is a good example of where this is especially useful.
Moving forward, CB Technology are committed to the health and safety of our employees and to serving our customers in the most “normal” way possible.